Food Friday 3: Heads and Feet

It's the post you've all been waiting for!  Not only is if Food Friday where I tell you all about the crazy things I ate this past week but this one especially include two dishes that will hopefully never be part of my diet ever again.


Let's start at the top.  Last Saturday I told you all how Ethan and I were taken out to a lovely authentic South Indian dinner in Little India.

Once seated at our table, we were each given a banana leaf that would serve as the plate for our meal (all you people who hate doing dishes this is a great and sustainable way to never have to clean dishes again, just toss it in the compost pile).  We were each given two types of veggies and rice.  Then the parade of dishes came:
Lamb

Shrimp

"Easy to eat chicken" as I like to refer to it 

And of course the fish head curry. It may be hard to detect but the mouth is on the far right hand side, take my word for it, it was a whole fish head.

My banana leaf plate full of a few of the dishes

Then it was dessert time:

Frozen Mango sorbet

Fried Dough ball basking in sweet, sweet syrup

Traditional Indian Coffee

I am extremely grateful for new experiences and that our hosts treated us to dinner!  It was a wonderful night listening to the stories of their adventurous lives living in Malaysia, New Zealand, and now Singapore.  And despite having a fish stare at me the whole dinner, everything was delicious!  Though I'm not sure my tummy can handle such authentic Indian food too often...

Here's a few other things I tried this past week, most are not as wacky as fish head:
Niles first Singapore lunch, pot stickers and fried rice

 Twirly, swirly fried potatoes, yummm!

 Ramen soup...looks much different than the package stuff!

Rambutan!  These are fruits!

Inside the rambutan, you peel off the skin and eat the inside.  It looks like a peeled grape is is sweet

 Kolo Mee a traditional meal found at hawker centers.  This was my lunch on Friday when my group usually goes out to eat.

Pigs ears - a little snack that is similar to a fortune cookie, no it does not contain any pigs ears!

Well we started with the head and its only appropriate to end the post with...feet...chicken feet to be precise.  Friday at lunch some of my coworkers ordered a plate of chicken feet and though I swore I wouldn't I was convinced to try a bite.  To clarify, I was given a single talon of the chicken's foot (oh this is even more gross to blog about) and I ate a nibble.  I didn't even make it through the entire talon and I'm perfectly fine with that!  How did it taste? Well pretty much how you'd expect it to.  There is not much meat, mostly thick skin and rubbery fat, oh gosh this is so yucky!! No more explaining here are the pictures:
Chicken feet!

My face says it all

Well, there you have it folks!  Laura ate chicken feet.  Fingers crossed the next adventurous thing I eat is a fluffernutter!

Have a great weekend!

P.S. I'd love to hear from you!  What was the craziest thing you ate this week?




1 comment: