Lunch...at the airport and routines

One of the different lifestyle habits to adjust to is that everyone goes to shopping malls and even the airport to eat and shop all the time.  Back home, if you asked someone if they wanted to grab lunch at Logan airport they'd look at you like you had 5 heads.  And lets be honest here, no one wants to go to Logan more than they have to because of the headache it is to drive around there.

Biscuits from a lady at work:


Friday's at work mean 2 hour lunches (and yes that's a full 2 hours) for religious observations.  This week was extra special because it was Keri's last day.  When I asked my group where we were going to lunch they said, "Changi Airport T3"  (terminal 3).  I looked puzzled but went along. Upon arriving at the airport they informed me that most people come here for shopping and eating on a regular basis.  In fact they are currently building terminal 4 and it is basically a shopping mall with a couple gates for airplanes.  Changi is a HUGE airport which makes eating there great because there are so many options.  So we enjoyed a filling lunch of sushi and Japanese style dishes followed by strong green tea ice cream.  It felt a bit odd sitting there for so long because I am not used to taking 2 hours for lunch!  However, it does make Friday pass by quicker :)

After work Keri and I both agreed that lunch was still holding us over and dinner was out of the question.  So we took the free work bus to Tampines (pronounced tam-pan-eeze) and walked around the mall there.  This will be the way I go home from work every day once I am moved into my condo.  So Keri showed me the grocery store that I will use, where I will pay the internet bill, and the MRT station.  We stopped and grabbed a cup of coffee at a Parisian style cafe.  Then took the MRT to Simei, the area I will live in and I was able to grab a taxi from there back to my hotel.  

Yumm latte (I think the PB stands for Prescott Batchelder) haha

I'm not sure why but this night was the first time since being here that I felt a bit of relaxation and assurance that I can do this.  Starting out in a new country where people do things differently than you can be daunting.  I was feeling a lack on confidence in knowing how to find a place to eat and how to navigate around.  Starting a new routine is always exciting but a tad stressful for me.  I like to get to a new area and immediately get my bearings for where my amenities are, how I get from one place to another, and just get a sense of how my regular routine will go.  I am quite a routine person when it comes to my during the week activity and then I am more capable of letting loose and adventuring on weekends.  My love of routines is probably part of the reason I feel in love with line-dancing in Indy hah!  But last night seeing the area I'll be spending most of my time in and understanding the way I'll get to and from work helped me realize that I will settle into my basic routine here and I will be able to find things I need on a day to day basis.   

One step at a time! 

View from my hotel room in the morning:




No comments:

Post a Comment