Food Friday II

I've decided that every Friday will be Food Friday on my blog.  That means a post all about the interesting food I ate in the previous week.  Along with this weekly post, I've challenged myself to try at least one new food a week to make things interesting.  With that, let's get week 2 of Food Friday going!


My co-worker shared this semi-sweet treat with me one afternoon at work this week.  It was a flaky crust as you can tell from the picture, and the filling tasted similar to the fig filling of a fig newton.  Still not sure what it is or what it was called but I enjoyed it!  And yes I did ask her what it was but she simply said it's a sweet biscuit.

The bento box style meal above was my dinner one night after work.  I think I've mentioned how here most people eat out at a food court or Hawker Center (note the difference between the two is that food courts usually have air con).  This came from a food court at my MRT stop.  It's teriyaki chicken and rice on the right with fried scallops in the top left corner and the bottom left is pickled veggies and mayo.  This whole meal cost me about $5SGD, not too bad!

 This is a dragon fruit!  Bought right from the grocery store or also sold at fruit stands. Now the trick with a dragon fruit is that some are white on the inside and other are a more deep purple/pink color.  How do you know the difference?  YOU DON'T!  Well I guess there might be some slight difference in the color on the outside that might indicate which color the inside fruit you will get but I have not developed the eye for it yet.  So one morning for breakfast I cut it open to see my fate and....

It was a white one!  I ate it just like a kiwi fruit, using a spoon I scooped out all the white part.  It was juicy, refreshing, and tasted like...a dragon fruit hah.  I guess it tasted kind of like a kiwi?  Either way it was mighty tasty and seeing as my grocery store had them at a price of 3 for less than $2SGD I will definitely be making these a regular item on my grocery list.

Up next is a Vietnamese classic, pho (pronounced "fa").  Oh good old pho always brings me back to the days of UMass Amherst and having pho in the oak room.  I opted for chicken pho and Ethan and I shared the sesame and prawn crackers in the left side of this picture.  The crackers kind of looked like packing peanuts, but were very tasty and the pho, of course, was so good!  Of course I'm really hoping I can have authentic pho in Vietnam while I'm here.

These tasty treats are called.....DONUTS!  Not quite the adventurous eating but a nice treat after walking around a bit.  Ethan tried the donut on the left which had green tea frosting and almonds.  On the right was my choice, blueberry frosting and whipped strawberry filling.  Definitely didn't compare to dunkin donuts or Marty's Donut Land in Ipswich, MA or Gerry's Donuts in Vernon, CT.

 Alright so this picture made food friday mostly to show you all what it looks like when you order a drink to go.  You get your cup in a small plastic bag to carry.  Why is this?  Because most people will get onto the MRT after and it is illegal to drink and eat on the MRT (subway).  Yes, I'm talking you get fined $500 SGD for eating or drinking while riding in the MRT.  While it seems a bit strict it actually helps keep the trains clean.  Getting back to the food theme, this drink was lime and plum juice...Ok I know, you're probably thinking that sounds so gross, Laura, why would you get that?!  Well at the time it sounded refreshing and I thought it might be a Singaporean favorite.  Well it was so gross that I barely finished half of it, which was also helpful since I didn't have to take it on the MRT with me.  Note to self and everyone else- say no to lime and plum juice.

Sushi time! The above roll is a classic dragon roll which includes tempura prawn and is topped with avocado.  Doesn't need to much explaining but for those who are new to sushi I think this would be a great beginner roll!  No raw fish and just gets you acclimated to the sushi roll experience.  And in case you were thinking the head and tail looked appetizing, I'm quite sure its not there for eating, just for the dragon experience.
This roll is a bit more "exotic" and included crab, egg omelet, and avocado inside and was topped with seared salmon and fish roe.  This was a roll with so many flavors and textures.  My only complaint is that the roll was so large and hard to manage it all in one bite.  

Alright I promise this is the last sushi roll for now (I know sushi isn't all that exotic).  So lets keep this one short.  Above is a cucumber and crab roll topped with lobstah salad and fish roe.  Verdict- delish!

Next up, Friday's at work mean 2 hour lunches.  For my group that means going out and usually having me try something new.  So this week was Korean BBQ!  This was only my 2nd time experiencing Korean BBQ but my first time having a grill in the table where we do all the cooking.  My coworkers and I enjoyed pork, beef, chicken, sausages, and squid.  My favorite meats were the squid and beef.  Though I was not prepared for the 4 full plates of meat that my group cooked.  By the end of the 2 hour lunch I was SO full and also smelt of everything that was cooking (one of the downsides of Korean BBQ).  However it was definitely good and I look forward to trying it again (just maybe not pounds and pounds of meat).  




Did I mention that I was stuffed from lunch??  Well good thing someone from work brought in these sweet treats for everyone.  Thank goodness it came in a package so that I could bring it home and enjoy it later. This dessert was jell-o and chocolately, layered bottoms with two strawberry hearts in the middle.  

Friday dinner will finish this post (sorry to be long winded, I'll slim it down next week).  Then again let's be serious, I eat 3 meals a day and am in Asia so I want to share as much with you all as possible!  Ok ok, shorter post next week.  Guess I'm old enough for my parents to trust I can feed myself everyday hah!
Above is fried prawns aka fried shrimp.  Depending who you are, you might eat the shells...

Per recommendation of our Singaporean tour guide, we enjoyed iced lemongrass with our meal.  It was a refreshing drink to go with the spice of the curry dish in the picture below.  

 Thai green curry with chicken and veggies.  Ok so not the most beautiful picture but I may have forgotten to snap a picture before we all dug into the yummy dish.  Definitely looking forward to trying this while in Thailand.
And finally, our group of three enjoyed this beverage in Holland Village.  Crabbie's is an alcoholic ginger beer.  Dark & stormy lovers this is your drink.  Perfect amount of ginger spice to it.  I think a nice dark spiced rum floater and a lime wedge would work great with this...

And that wraps up food Friday 2!  Next week will be much shorter and might include some type of fish head...

Happy Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment