Food Friday (Thursday) 5

Here we go again!  Let’s take a look at what Laura ate this past week. Also I apologize for the earlier than Friday post as I will be headed out on my first trip Friday so you'll have to deal with these yummy eats until I get back!



In the same nut-free fashion, Niles and I made our own stir-fry noodles.  Nothing too fancy here, we used Chinese la mian noodles and spinach noodles.  I have to say I’m digging the whole fried egg on top style that Singapore has introduced me too.  Great way to get an added bit of protein!


Up next is MORE steamed dumplings, rice, and spinach!  

 

This time we went to a chain Chinese restaurant that has a bunch of locations throughout Singapore.  Our dinner brought us to the location in Bedok and we agreed that their steamed dumplings would have us as repeat customers!  While the original pork dumplings were smaller than the ones we had in Chinatown, we all agreed that we liked the bite-sized bits better.  Plus we got to watch the team of chefs prepare them.  Fun fact: each tiny dumpling has at least 18 folds!! 

The process reminded me of the Greene family kilduni making!  

Please note the picture at the bottom of the above picture, it seems Tom Cruise visited this restaurant and they plastered the whole store front with pictures of his trip, haha!

Monday night, per Ethan’s request, we went out for bibimbap.  This is a Korean style dish that includes rice, veggies, meat, and some added seaweed crunchies?  What I loved most about this dish was how you eat it.  My girl Emily would LOVE this because you’re supposed to take the beautifully laid out dish and mix it all up together until it’s a complete mess, then dig in!  Emily gets a shout out because she always talks about those Rochester garbage plates and how you mix it all together, and she’s probably the only person I know who takes a perfectly wrapped burrito and stirs it all up!

Chicken bibimbap before stirring it all up

Alright so let’s get to the weird stuff…

Wednesday my group decided to go out to lunch (I thought it was strictly reserved for Fridays but I was wrong).  We went to a hawker center and I followed suit of what 2 other coworkers were getting.  This is what I ended up with…


What is it you ask?  Let’s call it soup!  Overall it wasn’t so bad, except for the bits of dried fish… In times like these I say thank goodness for noodles!  I wonder if my coworkers notice I only ate the noodles and green veggies...

And to finish off the meal we enjoyed what my coworkers called Chinese Salad.  No, silly there wasn’t a speck of lettuce or spinach or veggies to be found in this salad!  What I’m pretty sure this salad contained was crusty bread sort of like a ciabatta and pineapple chunks all covered in some type of kind of sweet sauce and doused in peanuts. 

Chinese Salad

I know, I know I just posted last week about how we are trying to avoid nuts as much as possible here.  But I also want to try new things while I’m here and I felt bad that my coworkers got this treat and wanted me to try it so I did.  The rest of the day at work I chugged lots of water and upon arriving at home I brushed my teeth, flossed, did a Listerine wash, and continued to chug more water.  Not to get all PDA but I didn’t even give Niles a kiss on the cheek until about 8pm Wednesday night.  It’s not a fun process to go through which is why when we are together I do my best to avoid nuts.  But I do know that there will come a day I go completely nut-free because I like Niles more than peanut butter!

2 comments:

  1. Have fun at Bali you three!
    1.Wednesday Noodles => Ee Mian, or Wheat Noodles in a seafood and egg broth.The fish are actually dried anchovies( definitely an acquired taste!)

    2.)Chinese Salad => Rojak. Basically vegetables and fruit in a dried shrimp-soy-peanut dressing with fried dough sticks.

    More munchie adventures when we all meet up k!

    glenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Girl! can't wait to get there and eat everythingggg

    ReplyDelete