Food Friday 4 - No Nuts Please!

It’s that time of the week again…Food Friday!

I know that most of my readers have probably come to dread this weekly post but I promise you this week doesn’t contain any stomach churning items.  My goal each week is to capture some of my daily meals plus try 1 new thing each week.  I have stuck to my goal so far and lucky for both of us, my new food was something that my fellow westerners would enjoy as well.

    

Chinatown Mid Autumn Mooncake Festival

On a side note- you probably know that my boyfriend is visiting Singapore right now.  While I am so very happy to have him around, his food allergies have made eating a sometimes stressful event.  My boyfriend is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts.  This isn’t such a big deal in the states as it’s a common allergy and people are very much aware of how to handle it.  But the nut allergy hasn’t really hit Asia yet.  As eating out is a common (and cheaper) pastime in Singapore I asked my coworkers to write Chinese on a piece of paper that we could carry around.  This is what they came up with:



I’ve been much more alert with his nut allergy here in Singapore.  We have experienced his reactions together before but being in a foreign country and not having a sense of how their health care works makes us both want to avoid it at all costs.  While English is a common spoken language here, it’s not a guarantee that people understand and speak it when out at a restaurant.  Not to mention it’s hard to distinguish the difference of I don’t like peanuts/nuts with I will die if you feed me peanuts/nuts.  So our plan of attack?  Review menu’s before we go out to eat, avoid Malaysian and Thai food as it is known for containing lots of nuts, avoid hawker stalls, communicate with whoever takes our order that we cannot eat peanuts/nuts, ground nuts, or nut oils, and cook at the apartment more often.  Overall, we’ve done just fine and he hasn’t had any accidental nuts make their way into his food.  Plus it just means we get to have fun trying to cook with some new-to-us ingredients from the grocery store!

Alright, back to the main show!  Let’s start with this week’s new food….kueh pie tee!  This is a classic treat here and I was introduced at the Night Festival.  It’s a crunchy outer shell filled with veggies and prawns (shrimp) and topped with some scrambled egg.   This little snack was easy to have in just a couple bites, perfect for walking around a festival.

Kueh Pie Tee
Here are a few other foods I enjoyed this week:

Lan Zhou La Main - Food Street Chinatown

Thursday night included a quick trip to Chinatown to see the streets lit up for the Mid-Autumn Mooncake Festival and devour some delicious Chinese food.  I seriously cannot begin to describe how good these steamed dumplings and fried tofu were!  Lan Zhou La Main can expect to see me at least once a month while I’m here.
Fried Tofu

Steamed Dumplings

Wednesday Niles and I made fried rice with veggies, tofu, and a fried egg on top.  Being nut free doesn’t stop us from enjoying our own take on “local” cuisine!
Niles' and Laura's famous fried rice

Early in the week I was having a sweet craving for something close to home and a blizzard from Dairy Queen (served upside-down of course) did the trick.

Oreo Blizzard anyone?

Now it’s your turn!  What new or interesting food did you enjoy this week?  

1 comment:

  1. I too am allergic to nuts (tree and ground), so appreciate the anxiety. Sigi

    ReplyDelete