Thailand Part Three - Adventures and Tastes



Saturday morning I was on a mission to find some baggy, comfy, elephant pants.  So after a quick breakfast with a view of the beach, we made our way to the main road.  There are plenty of little shops and restaurants lining the road that Time for Lime is off of so we walked for a while until I found what I was looking for.  Once I was satisfied with my finds, it was time to get back on the beach to cool off in the water and soak up some more sunshine. 




Not much to blog about me sitting on the beach reading and swimming so let’s get to the evening.

Time for Lime features a tasting menu that changes each day.  It’s different than a typical restaurant that has the same set menu day in and day out but again its makes for a unique dining experience that can be enjoyed back to back with plenty of new flavors.  It’s a 6 course tasting where the first 5 come out as they are ready (i.e. not in any particular order) and you know you’re finished when you receive dessert. 

First up was marinated shrimp wrapped in wild pepper leaves.   (Oh and a delicious long iced tea to enjoy with it)

 

Then came the famous Time for Lime soup and my was it heavenly!  It’s a pumpkin soup that would be perfect for all you New Englanders on a cold day. 


Third was the crispy deep fried papaya salad, an interesting take on the typical fresh version.


 Then came the seafood in roasted chili paste.  This was spicy but had delicious flavor.


For the next dish you could choose either chicken or fish, I went with the fish fillet, in red curry sauce.  It was SO SO good and definitely something I could see at a snazzy, expensive restaurant back home.   And in the far left corner is what the owner calls her medicine - lemongrass margarita, SOO refreshing!


And finally came dessert!  It was sweet and tangy and I have no clue what it actually is hah!  But the salty bit of peanut brittle balance the tangy/sweetness of the mousse. 


The plates were hearty enough to give you a good serving of each dish and I ended feeling full and satisfied. 

Once the tasting was complete we made our way over to the bar and started mingling with the staff/volunteers.  There were a few from the UK, one from the US, and then a few Thai staff as well.  After a few good cocktails and lots of talk about our experiences and what brought us here, they invited us to go to a local bar with them.  How did we get there you ask?  On the back of a motorbike, pure Thai style!  Was it probably a tad dangerous?  Yup.  But they were all trusty drivers and so I hopped on the back with two other people in front of me, held on tight, and tried not to smile with my mouth open (think dust and bugs) as I enjoyed the freeing feeling of riding through this exotic place with my hair blowing in the wind.

We made our way down to Korner Bar which was located right on the beach, tucked away from the road.  There was a DJ playing techno which made for great dance music, a beach with a beautiful view, good drinks, and the clear night sky.  It was a fun way to end the trip, though it made me wish I were staying longer.  My new friends were so fun and so welcoming the whole time of my stay and I know I would have enjoyed another couple weeks spent on Koh Lanta. 

This whole trip really made my heart happy.  My first post was titled “in the right place for not enough time” and I truly feel that I need to go back to this island and stay for at least a good month.  The Thai people are so kind and funny, Time for Lime is a wonderful place to stay and helps a great cause, and it all just felt like a the perfect piece to my puzzle was found. 

If you’re going to Thailand, go to Koh Lanta, stop by Time for Lime, and enjoy the beauty of this little island.



Koh Lanta holds a special place in my heart and I hope I can come back with my special guy, Niles, someday soon.

Until next time Thailand!


No comments:

Post a Comment