The Adventures of Emily and Laura

Well where have I been?  Obviously not blogging, unfortunately not on the beautiful beaches of Koh Lanta, BUT EVEN BETTER!  I just enjoyed a wonderful visit from one of my very best friends, Emily!



Last Thursday I sat impatiently at work waiting for 7pm to come.  Finally it was time and I greeted my friend at the airport and brought her back to my place.  I think it’s safe to say that we were laughing our heads off in the first 10 minutes of being reunited.

Unsure of how Emily would be feeling after her long trip, I had planned just a low key evening and wanted to play things by ear.  We ended up walking around the mall across the street (in typical Singapore fashion) and then enjoyed some Tiger tall boys before I had finally talked her head off enough to put her to sleep. 
Friday I unfortunately had to work but that meant plenty of time for Emily to relax by the pool and get used to life on the equator.  But once Friday night came I was all ready to take this lady out on the town!  We jumped on the MRT and headed to Marina Bay Sands to enjoy one of my favorite restaurants, Din Tai Fung, in the shoppes by the bay.  Emily let me order and I went for my favorites including: xiao long bao, fried veggie wantons, steamed veggie and pork dumplings, and kai lan with garlic sauce.  It was delicious as always and I was happy to share one of my favorites on our first official night. 
After filling up on delicious food we got into the crazy long line to head up to Ku De Ta, the bar on top of MBS.  Lucky for us ladies can get into the club area free and so we were able to skip the line for the lounge (which always has free cover).  Honestly, I prefer the lounge area better as you get the 180 view off the front of the “ship”, but we had some great views of Marina Bay and I got to point out buildings and areas I’ve been to which was fun.  One carafe of sangria provided us each a full glass and for that kind of pricing ($50 SGD for the carafe) we decided that would be enough for the night and headed down to Gardens by the Bay. 

Does it seem crazy that I would take my friend to a large garden late at night?  Probably.  But as my dedicated readers know, Gardens by the Bay is home to the Super Trees which look amazing at nighttime.  So the two of us headed into the lush gardens and I brought Emily through to the SuperTree Grove where we could soak up the beauty of these structures.  The best thing to explain what the trees are like is something out of the movie Avatar.  These huge structures stand 70 feet tall and have various plants growing up them.  At night, they are illuminated blue, red, and green.  The best part of these unique pieces is that they are actually beneficial to the garden and act as means to help bring water and nutrients to the entire garden. 
 

 





It was so fun watching Emily’s excitement as we walked through the SuperTree Grove.  It reminded me of my first time at the Gardens by the Bay back in August.  Oh how quick time passes!  So strange to think that just a few months ago this was all new to me.

And then it was time to call it a night.  Stay tuned for the next episode of The Adventures of Emily and Laura!

No comments:

Post a Comment