Happy New Year!

New Year’s Eve started with a half day of work that was crazy busy due to the year end closing (life of a finance person).  While it was nice having so much to do that made the 5 hours in the office fly by, I probably could have used the other half of the day to really get some things done.  But in the end, I gladly welcomed the extra time to chill out in the afternoon before the nights festivities.




Around 9pm Ethan and I headed downtown on a surprisingly empty subway.  We had reservations for the rooftop bar at 1 Altitude, the highest rooftop bar in Singapore (62nd floor).  Our wait was only a couple minutes before we made the elevator ride up to the top.  I’m happy we decided to go with the reservation route as the walk-in line was long and didn’t look like it was moving.  We were lead into a great area with cocktail tables to stand at and a view over the Marina Bay.  Our reservation included free flow drinks from 10-12pm, which was great not having to worry about paying the exorbitant prices for drinks at a place like this.  I can only imagine their cocktails were probably being sold for way over $20 each that night.  We arrived at the top just about 9:45pm so we had to wait until the drink option started, but it was still better knowing we had a guaranteed reservation and didn’t need to get there crazy early just to hold our spot. 

  


Order 1 drink, bartender hands you 3 = its gonna be a good night!



Midnight came without the typical 5….4…..3….2….1!!!!  Maybe the fireworks were the clue that it was the New Year?  I’m not sure, but it was weird not counting down the last few seconds of 2014.  Of course I found myself surrounded by couples at midnight and all I could think about was my wonderful boyfriend thousands of miles away…so I drank my beer and took some silly selfies to make myself feel a little better hah!

Looking back on 2014, it has been a total whirlwind of adventures and new things.  At first I was fearing the long year that I’d be living far from home, Niles, friends, and family.  There were so many days I wished I could have dinner with my family or grab a drink on Friday after work with friends.  But despite the hard days, there were so many more wonderful days filled with new experiences and adventures. 

Some adventures of #lonerlaura include moving to Indiana, going line dancing countless nights, a weekend trip to Nashville, a marshmallow festival, riding in an Amish carriage,  meeting Olympian Nick Goepper, being comfortable enough to go out to eat by myself, and moving to Singapore. 

Though it feels like I had lots of time alone this year there were so many adventures I got to experience with others: visiting Louisville Kentucky with Niles, Easter with mom and dad in Indy – dinner and a show at the Jazz Kitchen and touring the Indy 500 track, attending the Kentucky Derby with Emily (and learning that I hate mint juleps), going to the Indy 500 race with Niles, Mark and Michelle in Indy – kissing the bricks at the track and enjoying the Rathskellers hot mustard, road tripping with Sharon from Indy to Massachusetts in Krispy Kreme hats, watching Scott graduate and become a fellow alumni of UMass, Harpoon BBQ Championships with a great group of friends, Meg and Collins wedding, Bali, Vietnam, Malaysia, Sydney, and of course my time in Singapore with Ethan, Niles, Amber, Bekah, Glenn, and Tracey. 

Funny that when I stop and think about it I’ve made so many memories with the people I love this year even though I was living so far away. 

Thank you to all my family and friends who made 2014 wonderful by making time to see me the few times I was home, making trips to visit me in Connecticut, Indiana, and Singapore, and most importantly supporting me during this journey with kind words and lots of laughs.  2014 was an incredible year and I can only wait for the wonderful things in store for 2015!

Cheers to a happy, healthy, adventurous, new year!


No comments:

Post a Comment