#TBT - Throwback Thursday - Weekend Outing on Arab St

Scrolling through my email I realized I had written a blog post in the beginning of November and never posted it!  So I figured throwback Thursday could be a great time to catch up on this fun little adventure in Singapore.  Note- I have not edited this so keep in mind that this was written before my trip back to the US.  

The theme for this weekend was to keep things pretty low key as the previous weekend I was in Vietnam as you know and I wanted to get rest for more adventures to come.

Saturday afternoon, Ethan, Glenn, and I decided to head to Arab St.  I had heard lots of good things about the area but hadn't had the chance to go yet.  Well after one trip I was sold, and I look forward to going back to explore more of the area. 


We alighted at the Bugis MRT station and the walk to the Arab St district.  On our walk there we passed by the Parkview Square building.  Isn’t it just gorgeous?  The architecture here in Singapore always amazes me.  There are so many different style buildings and they’re all so beautiful!  This one in particular reminded us of the tower of terror. 

 

Once we reached the Arab St district, I was surprised to see that the area consists of a few streets all lined with colorful shops, cafés, restaurants, and bars.  It’s definitely an area that you could spend a good chunk of your day exploring. 


 

There are shops filled with bright clothing, jewelry, knick-knacks, and hookahs.  This is definitely a great spot to check out if you’re looking for gifts to bring home (or to keep for yourself).  Of course you cannot miss the Sultan Mosque that stands almost like a lighthouse for the district.  It is a beautiful building and I hope next time it is open so that I can check out the inside.  



It literally looked right out of the movie Aladdin and I thought back to my very young self when all I wanted to be for Halloween was Jafar…yes as in the scary villain.  All I will say is that I had a very vivid dream before Halloween when I was probably 5 years old, and I was dressed as Jafar and looked awesome.  And if you’re wondering, no I was not Jafar that year or any other year for that matter. 

Now that we've digressed down memory lane let’s get back to Arab St, shall we?  We stopped in Merdandy for a drink and snack but I unfortunately can’t say too many great things about the place.  My biggest complaint was that it took forever to get our simple basket of fries as well as to get our check when we were ready to leave.  Also, they had a sign saying if you bought 2 ciders you’d get a free headband…didn't happen, even after we asked!!  This lady would have been a much happier camper if she got a free headband with an apple on it, just saying!  Most people told me to go back at nighttime as the streets really fill up with people dining and drinking.  On our walk I noticed a few spots that I would definitely like to check out such as Piedra Negra, a Mexican place and Blu Jaz Café which supposedly has live music! 

Our tour of the area was a short one but it left us eager to come back again.  Why did we need to leave early?  I had dinner plans with new friends!  Earlier on Saturday a woman stopped and introduced herself while I was sitting by the pool.  We got to chatting and she invited me to dinner with her family that evening as they live in the same complex as me.  It was a wonderful dinner and their family is just lovely!  It’s a great feeling to be a part of a little community when you’re far from home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment