Christmas lights, War Memorial, and 3,000 page views

Let’s start with the latter, I've reached 3,000 page views on my blog!  Cool!!  Thanks for reading everyone!  I never thought my readers would consist of people outside of my parents, Niles, and my close friends so I am truly shocked at how many of you have stopped by.  Keep reading and I’ll keep posting my silly adventures.


This past weekend Ethan and I decided to head to Orchard Rd to view the Christmas lights.  Everyone has been talking about this being the spot in Singapore with the best decorations and I have to agree.  We hopped off the MRT at the Somerset stop, grabbed a quick bite to eat at Acid Bar, then walked up the street to take in the lights. 







I have to say it still feels very odd walking through the winter wonderland of lights in a summer dress but I just need to accept that there won’t be any snow on Christmas for this New Englander.  Most of the decorations were in line with what you’d see in the US, minus the weird display of light up mannequins.  The big malls closer to the Orchard MRT stop even had huge Christmas trees alongside Ethan’s favorite Lauderee tree.  We of course had to stop and get some delicious macarons.  My choices were chocolate Granada, strawberry marshmallow, and orange blossom. 









Sunday, after a delicious and filling brunch, we headed over to the War Memorial Park which holds the Civilian War Memorial in honor of those who were killed by the Japanese in Singapore during World War II.  The four pillar monument is representative of the 3 main ethnic groups in Singapore: Chinese, Malaysian, and Indian.  The fourth pillar represents all other ethnicities. 

 

 


After taking some pictures, we walked over towards the Raffles Hotel and decided to be true Singapore tourists and stop in for the famous Singapore Sling.  The inside of the hotel makes you feel more like you’re at a tropical resort, not a hotel in the middle of a bustling city. 
 
Once we sat down at the bar the bar tender immediately asked if we wanted a sling (can you imagine how many times a day he has to make them).  The drink is sweet and tart, something I could only really enjoy one in a single sitting.  But it was nice to enjoy on the gorgeous, sunny day in Singapore.  Check that one off the list of things to do!

Enjoy the last couple days before Christmas and I hope you all enjoy the greatest gift of all that comes with spending time with the people you love.  Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment