Food Friday 13 - A little bit of Malay, a little bit of Lebanese

Usually these posts will have just a week's worth of new foods, but seeing as I haven't posted in a while you all will get a taste of some things I've eaten in the past 2 weeks.

Thanksgiving Thursday, my coworkers asked if I'd like to order delivery lunch with them and I figured it'd be a good opportunity to try something new.  Plus it would probably fill me up more than my granola bar and apple (it's not easy to grocery shop when you're homesick).  They showed me the menu to choose from and of course I had no clue what I was reading because it was all Malaysian food and none of it had descriptions!  Luckily my friend Mary helped me out and I decided to go with nasi goreng pattaya.  Yum!  This dish is fried rice, not like the stuff you get from Chinese takeout in the US, with seafood and then all wrapped up into an egg omelet and topped with chili sauce.  It was surprisingly really tasty, though I did pick out the fish cakes because those are not my most favorite.  



This is definitely something I'd like to try and recreate on my own!

Up next, was Thanksgiving dinner for Ethan and I.  Now we originally were thinking we'd have black pepper crab but the reservations didn't work out so we went for our next favorite: Din Tai Fung.  This is what our usual meal looks like from din tai (and yes we eat here almost every week).


From left to right we've got: xiao long bao, fried veggie wantons, Ethan's favorite spicy noodles, and steamed pork and veggie dumplings.  My mouth is watering just looking at this picture...I don't know how to translate the amazing, delicious, wonderful that din tai fung is.  Guess you'll all have to come visit and have a taste for yourself!  Or din tai fung could open a restaurant in New England...that would be FANTASTIC!

Next up is the dinner Ethan and I shared on our trip to Kuala Lumpur.  We ate at Madame Kwan's and per typical Singaporean fashion, we each got a plate of white rice and then shared the main dishes.  We went for ginger beef which was fabulous and simple sauteed kailan with garlic.  Kailan is a Chinese vegetable that is sort of a mix between the leaves of spinach and the stalks of asparagus.  


To wash this yummy dinner down, I had a fresh lime soda.  It was simply lime juice and sparkling water but oh man was it perfectly refreshing especially after a day of walking around in some hot weather.

Alright so now we are onto this most current week. My coworker was actually in Malaysia the same weekend I was there, though south of where I was.  She brought back pineapple tarts for all of us at work which was so kind of her.  I was hesitant at first as I figured it would be overly sweet or overly tart from the pineapple, but to my surprise it was a perfect, slightly sweet treat for the afternoon.  I guess this is as close to someone bringing in Christmas cookies to work as I'll get!


And finally, my Friday night dinner this week knocked it out of the park.  Ethan and I decided to venture back to Arab St for some authentic Lebanese food and man did we get more than we bargained for!  I had read about Beirut Grill online and it had some pretty good reviews so I suggested we go there.  Thankfully the reviews I read were accurate and we enjoyed an awesome feast.  

First up was the Beirut hummus which was freshly made with some more whole chickpeas and parsley mixed it and we enjoyed it with fresh, hot pita bread.  I haven't had hummus since I've been in Singapore as it's not too common at the grocery store but this dish made me remember how much I love it, especially so fresh!  For our dinner we shared the mixed kebab plate which included chicken kebabs, lamb kebabs, lamb chop, and the last one was beef (we think).  The spices and marinades on the meat were perfect and it had the taste that it was fresh off a hot grill.  I used some more of the fresh pita bread to fill up with the rice, meat, sauces, and veggies and my goodness was it bliss!  A perfect end to a long week and a perfect beginning to the weekend!

  
                 


Have a great weekend everyone and remember to try something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment