Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Yes you read right!  Snow in Singapore!!!

It was a brisk 29 degrees on Sunday and Ethan and I decided to venture down to the Christmas Wonderland at the Gardens by the Bay.  Ethan found the event while browsing online and it was described as having festive lights and a German market place.  When we arrived, we headed straight to the supertree grove where the marketplace was.  We were greeted with bright lights, Christmas songs, and cute little sheds with typical Singaporean restaurants and goods.





Ok, ok so it was 29 degrees Celsius and the “German marketplace” wasn't quite as German as we thought (aka no German beer, brats, soft pretzels, or anything else German).  But it was fun to walk around!


  
 There was a large circular light display around a green patch of grass where they claimed there would be a snowfall.  We continued walking around the gardens and admiring the other lights and Christmas trees before heading back to the snowfall area.  The inside of the circle had lots of wires up above that started to turn white with foam…and by 730 there were bubbles everywhere!!  I was expecting more of the Yankee Candle snowfall experience but this would have to suffice for my snowy Christmas season.  Though the bubbles were kind of odd and I realized that I didn't like it that much, hence the ferocious swatting that included bumping Ethan a couple times (sorry)!!



It was silly to think that for most Singaporean kids, this was as close as they’ll ever get to snow in their life!  Many of my coworkers have never seen snow before which as a New Englander seems so odd to me.  Living in a place that has 2 seasons, summer and rainy season, it has made me realize how much I love the 4 seasons of New England.  I also realize how I rely on the changing of the seasons to dictate time moving and change.  Winter means snowboarding and cozy nights by the fire, spring means rainy days and pretty flowers, summer means beach and barbeques, and fall means pumpkin everything and cute fall outfits.  Having arrived here in August when it was summer back in the US made it feel pretty “normal” that it was hot here as well.  Though now that it’s still the same temperatures outside it seems as though I’m stuck in time a bit. 

Though I’ll sure be pining for the warmth of the Singapore sun when the polar vortex welcomes me back to the US come February!

For now, I’ll enjoy this tropical Christmas season and think about how silly it is to see Christmas lights around palm trees and wearing shorts and flip flops (and still sweating) in December!

No comments:

Post a Comment