Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - Part 2 Petronas Towers

Whenever I go to a new place I like to do some research beforehand on tips for the area.  Lately I’ve been turning to travel blogs or trip advisor reviews because then you get people’s firsthand accounts of what they experienced and less of the general guidelines which can be a bit dramatic.  One thing that people continuously wrote about was that KL is EXTREMELY hot and humid.  I laughed when I stepped out in the afternoon and said, oh it’s so nice here!  Most reviewers were not from Singapore where we live on the equator and where cool temperatures mean low 80s, hah!  Not to say that it was SO much cooler than Singapore but I did notice I was much more comfortable than usual in Singapore.  And given that I opted to dress more conservatively than I usually do in Singapore as Malaysia is a Muslim country, I found myself able to handle longer pants and sleeves easier than in Singapore weather.


Back to the adventure!


We headed towards the Petronas Twin Towers for the evening.  These towers used to be the tallest buildings in the world until 2004, but now hold the tallest twin towers in the world.  It took 7 years to build the towers!  They have 88 floors and stand at 452 m or 1,483ft.  The skybridge is a two story bridge that connects the two towers, although it technically is not attached to the two towers to allow for them to sway…talk about scary?!  The bridge is at the 41stand 42nd floor, the upper level only open to people who work there, while the lower level is open for tourists like me!  The bridge is 170m (558ft) above the ground, which is not as high as Chicago’s Willis Tower SkyDeck at 412m (1,353ft) nor as scary with the glass floor, but it boasts some beautiful views nonetheless!

The tour is done in groups of about 10-12 people and the staff does an excellent job of giving you lots of time to take pictures and soak up the view, but then ushers you to the next part of the tour to keep the bridge from getting overcrowded. 

 

The second stop was at the 86th floor, the highest occupied floor in the building.  From here the views were just stunning!  Our tour had started at 6pm and by the time we reached the 86th floor the sun was starting to set, making for beautiful pictures. 




View with the KL Menara Tower in the distance

After our tour of the towers, we met up with Glenn who had done some shopping while we were doing the tourist thing.  We decided on dinner at Madame Kwan’s.  Though there was a line, the food was delicious and well worth the wait!  I’ll keep you all guessing on what we ate by waiting to post it until Food Friday (and yes I promise to actually post something this week).


We then stopped outside to enjoy the view of the towers all lit up.  I swear they look like diamonds at night because the towers are just so shiny and bright!  My only suggestion would be for them to put huge wreaths and garlands all over the buildings to make them look even more Christmas-y!  (For now I’ll just picture it in my head). 

Bukit Bintang was our destination for the evening.  This area is chock full of bars (and hostels for those looking for a cool place to stay).  We walked up and down the street eyeing the different bars and clubs which included English style pubs, Mexican, fancy clubs, and many more.  Glenn had highly suggested The Rabbit Hole and it looked like a neat place so we headed in.  They had live music which was two guys, one on guitar, and the other a singer and they sang awesome hits and Christmas songs last Christmas, I gave you my heart but the very next day, you gave it away.  I had a blast singing along and making Ethan and Glenn shake their heads in disappointment or embarrassment. 


 

My first drink was called a Paloma which was made with tequila, grapefruit juice, and lime juice.  While I enjoyed the drink, I think I will keep it in my back pocket and recreate it a little differently when I’m back home (it needed more lime and a touch of sugar to balance the tartness yes I think I’m a fancy bartender).  But I will say that citrus and tequila always make for a great pair. 

While my first drink wasn’t a 10, Glenn and Ethan made a solid choice with the Moscow Mule (vodka, ginger beer, lime, and mint).  And it was served in awesome copper mugs!  This is definitely something to add to my list of favorite mixed drinks and I will try my hand at making one when I get home.  Perhaps with some local Bully Boy vodka as they are a customer to my always favorite PubGearUSA.com! 

Two rounds of drinks would suffice for the evening (in total cost us each 66 ringgit which is approximately $20USD).  Unfortunately we learned about the difficulty of traffic in downtown KL on our ride home.  Our taxi driver informed us that motorbike racing is a huge problem late at night and to try and combat it, police set up blocks.  This creates a large traffic jam and the motorbikers usually just go to another area for their racing (plus they also wait until much later at night). 

Stay tuned for my final wrap up of our quick KL trip…

No comments:

Post a Comment