The Adventures of Emily and Laura: the Asia Finale

We had two full days left of Emily’s visit and I wanted to be sure we took advantage of the work days without all the crowds of people.  When I had asked Emily before she came to Singapore if there was anything specific she wanted to do she said, “the Botanic Gardens!!”  So off to the Botanic Gardens we went! 

All pictures are credit of Emily's fabulous photography...including this one: 


These are our excited faces
The past two times I had come to the gardens had been back when the humidity levels were insane in Singapore.  Luckily this time the weather was much more bearable (but lets be serious, it was still in the mid-80s and sunny out).  It was definitely much more comfortable walking around this time around.  We made our way through the gardens, happening into one of the University of Singapore campuses, meeting a monitor lizard in the healing garden, and making lots of “oooh’s” and “aahhh’s” at the hundreds of orchids in the Orchid Garden. 


The gardens always make for a great way to spend an afternoon, even if you lose 5 pounds in sweat from walking around.  I enjoyed finding new plants I hadn’t seen in my previous visits and reading about the various healing plants of the healing garden.  The Orchid Garden is just something spectacular and I wish I could fill my (futurehouse will all the varieties of orchids they have there.  There are big orchids, little orchids, ones with curly edges, some with skinny petals, ones with spots, ones with multiple colors, and the list goes on and on. 


After a nice long afternoon in the sun, we were exhausted and made our way back on the subway only to get caught in “rush hour” traffic.  Even so we made it back with plenty of time to get some Nene chicken for dinner and then try out some silly face masks from the beauty store sale. 

Tuesday we spent taking it easy and enjoyed more time in the sunshine before Emily had to go back to the remnants of the huge blizzard in New England.  It was nice reading and cooling off in the pool every now and then…well until I got a teeny sunburn.  Even so, we enjoyed the easy day. 

For Tuesday dinner, Emily was interested in trying Thai green curry so we headed over to the grocery store and got supplies to make it.  While it wasn’t exactly the same as the cooking class version, we managed to get a decent spice mix that made for a delicious sauce.  

Wednesday came all too quickly and I was wanting to hop on the plane home with Emily!  Her flight wasn’t until mid-day so we weren’t rushing to get out first thing in the morning.  Before taking the MRT to the airport we picked up bubble tea’s from Gong Cha (but no drinking until we got to the airport)!  Even though the trip there took a little longer than I had planned for, we got Emily checked in with enough time to enjoy our tea’s and then get her through customs.

I am so incredibly lucky and blessed to have had my wonderful friend travel across the world to visit me.  This visit was a fun adventure and just another reminder of the great adventures to come when I’m back state-side.    

Thank you, Em :)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment